Monday, July 14, 2008

Where to Begin

So, we begin our walk.

I never know where to begin a conversation about the church. Do I start at the moment I found Christ lurking behind me waiting for me to mature as a Christian? Do I start with the moment I realized I would be a leader in a movement of Christians in the nudist world? Or where the Holy Spirit began to work in my life to train me for my mission.

Maybe an overview will suffice. I was born into a Christian family with a minister for a father. I grew up with all the love and care a person could want. As you know, this is a perfect recipe for someone like me to go astray. I found myself at age 29 a father, a husband, and a productive member of society, but not a Christian.

Oh, I claimed to be a Christian. I knew there was a God. what I didn't know was there was ABBA, the Father, His Son, and a Spirit sent to care and love me. I was clueless to the ways of a Christian life. Thankfully, I found them just behind the little small voice that whispered in my ear from time to time. In my wonderful discovery, I also found a four foot, eleven inch tall woman who had been sleeping next to me for many years. I renewed my life with my wife. I finally had a complete life.

Carey and I began building our existence around a small church which met in a school. Having only a few families as members, it was a good place to become educated about the process for building a church. Through eight years of fun, struggle, things done right, and things done wrong, we came out of this experience with a great deal of knowledge about the inner workings of the church.

The good news is that we knew how a church functioned. The bad news is that we knew how a church functioned. Churches have rules and activities that help the church grow and function. They also have rules and functions that cause dissension and cause fractures in the body of the church. The more I learned about what the church did, the more I felt the need to change how our church was functioning. As with all heavy objects, they would not budge. In time, God made it clear our time was finished at the church and we needed to move on. So we did.

My wife and I are nudists. We wear clothes when appropriate, when it is cold out, or when clothing oneself is the prudent thing to do. We had visited the church service at our local nudist park on many occasions, and decided to make this church our temporary home until we could find a suitable locations to settle in and begin the new ministry. Frankly, I suspected we make them our home after a couple of weeks, but my wife was not sure.

After a couple of years sitting in the back of the service and finding a place to rest, God called us out of the "Sit, Soak, and Sour" pew in the back and move us to the front of church business. He asked that I begin getting ready for a time when I would lead the services and to start building the chapel into a functioning church.

You might ask what the difference is. A chapel service is a service designed to deliver a worship time for a group of people. It does not serve the purpose of a church. It simply offers a service time to worship and pray. A church is a community of Christians who gather together to forward the Word of God. They meld into a group with a purpose. With this goal in mind and through the direction of the Holy Spirit, my wife and I joined with another couple, John and Judy, and began to build a functioning church in the middle of a nudist resort.

Over the next few posts, I will elaborate more on our journey to this ministry. I will also add a few current events to the posts so that we won't get caught up in "let's remember."

One of my purposes for writing this blog is to enlighten Christian organizations to our struggles and our successes. I feel a great disconnection to the Christian world because of the lack of acceptance of my peers in other Christian groups. The fact that we need a church in a nudist park is a testament against the churches surrounding the nudist resorts and parks.

If you are a pastor or church leader and have found us, I ask that you continue to read about our work, offer suggestions where you see them, and to keep us in your prayers daily. The comment section is open to everyone and we hope this will be a place for lively discussions and those discussions would be discussions Christ would be proud of.

till next time...

No comments: