Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Little Quiz

I often wonder who would be a good president. What are the qualities we would want for the person who runs our country. Below I am going to list the characteristics I think a president should have before being allowed to run for office. But I am hoping that whoever should be reading this will contribute their ideas.

First, I think the president should have held a job other than politics for the previous 5 years. A person whose only qualification is holding some other office is not qualified to run the country. They are too tied up in politics to be able to make good decisions. They have a conflict of interest from the start.

Second, I want to see a person who has a vision for our country and backs up his vision with a clear, concise plan laid out for the next four years. If he can't tell us what his platform is in under 300 words, he really doesn't know his plan and he or she should return to run once they have solidified his ideas enough to explain them in short order.

Third, she should have be willing to listen to those people who have traveled the path before them. I understand now that Clinton and Bush are friends. It would have been nice for that to occur while Clinton was in office. Nixon and Johnson spoke on many occasions. Too bad they didn't communicate much before the scandal.

Next, a president should be of a character so that no one will ever wonder about his motives. It should be a normal day when the news says there are no scandals on the horizon which involve out president.

The president should be so honorable that no congressman, senator, or officer of our country would dare sully the integrity of the office by claiming wrong doings by a president. Part of what is wrong with this country is that the respect for the office of the president has eroded to the point that no one even thinks twice about bad mouthing the president. Imagine the scandal if a citizen of England began bad mouthing the Queen. (I know. It happens, but not like Bush has been hammered.)

Whether the president is a woman or a man, and I do think the country is ready for a woman, she should be forthright in the details of the country's problems and successes.



Well, this might not be all of the things, but just getting these requirements straight before the first commercial hits the airwaves would go a long way to politically ethical presidents. For those wondering, yes, I do believe morals matter. Ethics are the measure of a man or woman.

My new best decision making process for voting for a man is whether I would buy a used car from him or her. If I won't trust him to sell me a car, I don't want her running my country.

So, what are your thoughts?

No comments: